Construcciones Yamaro: TAFE NSW plumbing apprentice follows family trade

TAFE NSW plumbing apprentice follows family trade
Callie Hagan enjoys the hands-on nature of plumbing. (Image: TAFE NSW)

TAFE NSW is helping address an ongoing plumbing skills shortage in the Upper Hunter by training the next generation of plumbers, including a record number of female apprentices in the male-dominated trade.

One such apprentice is Denman’s Callie Hagan, 17, who is continuing a family tradition as a third-generation plumber, following her father and grandfather into the trade.

Hagan left school to pursue a career in veterinary nursing before making a career pivot into the family trade, drawn to the varied, hands-on nature of the work.

Women account for just 1 per cent of Australia’s general plumbers, according to Jobs and Skills Australia, but the tide is turning across many male-dominated trades. The NSW Government’s 2026 Women’s Strategy Report Card shows women now make up more than 38 per cent of all apprenticeship and traineeship completions in NSW.

“Plumbing wasn’t in my plan at all when I left school but when I stopped vet nursing, I decided to do some labouring with dad and I just loved it,” said Hagan. “I love the idea of having a trade under my belt because it gives you options. It’s very special to be following in the footsteps of my dad and pop and not many people can say they’ve done that.”

Related stories:

A representative rugby league player with the Newcastle Knights, Hagan is a first-year apprentice with her father’s business, D Hagan Plumbing, undertaking a Certificate III in Plumbing at TAFE NSW Maitland.

Her father and boss, Dan Hagan, was apprenticed to his own father as a teenager, meaning she is continuing a rare family tradition.

“I’m definitely proud of Callie and she’s got the right attitude to succeed because she always wants to learn,” he said. “She’s an inspiration to other girls out there to do the plumbing trade.”

Hagan said despite only recently starting at TAFE NSW Maitland, she was already becoming a more rounded tradeswoman.

“TAFE has been awesome and I’ve already started learning things I don’t really do regularly on the job site, like scaffolding and roofing,” she said.

TAFE NSW Maitland plumbing head teacher Stephen Bird said Hagan was one of a growing number of women pursuing plumbing apprenticeships locally.

“It’s fantastic to see more women choosing plumbing as a career and bringing their skills and enthusiasm to the industry,” he said. “Plumbing offers secure employment, excellent earning potential and the chance to make a real difference in the community. At TAFE NSW, we’re focused on giving students the practical, job-ready skills and confidence they need to succeed from day one of their apprenticeship.”

The post TAFE NSW plumbing apprentice follows family trade appeared first on Inside Construction.



View Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Construcciones Yamaro: Final discussion paper for Foundations and Frontiers released

Construcciones Yamaro: Coates extends partnership with AFL

Construcciones Yamaro: Webinar: Downer Construction digitises to boost efficiency